Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Overheard in the Shop: Part 1


I've overheard a wealth of retarded conversations over the years. I'd like to share a sliver of the stupidity with you so there's a better understanding of why I sometimes come off as a cynical asshole.

Mother: ...they don't make any money. Not like Lance or golfers...
Daughter: Why?
Mother: Well, nobody has ever heard of them...
Daughter: Who?
Mother: Remember when all those Americans helped Lance win that race? Nobody knows who they are. They only helped, so they didn't make enough money to make a living.
Daughter: Oh...

I bit my tongue not to intervene. Sometimes you've just got to let them carry on with their lives as if everything is as perceived. I felt sorry for the little girl though.


Man: ...I'd do it myself, but I don't have the tools.
Mechanic: OK. (takes bike to install water bottle cages)
Woman: You look serious. Do you ride alot?
Man: Yeah.
Woman: Mmm...
Man: I used to race Pro.
Woman: Wow. Where?
Man: Mountain bikes...not around here. In Denver.
Woman: Really?
Man: Yeah. I had to stop because of one too many back surgeries.
Woman: Ohh. How many miles do you ride?
Man: Sixty to a Hundred.
Woman: Wow.
Man: I'm just starting to get back on the bike.
Woman: Isn't that dangerous with all the cars and traffic?
Man: Well, you can't live in fear. If you do, it's all over. You're done.
Woman: Mmm..
Man: Yeah. If it comes, it comes. It was meant to be. Y'know?
Woman: Sure...
Man: I just go out and do it because it's the way I live.
Woman: Yeah...

Seriously. You can't make this shit up...

1 comment:

Tim Jackson said...

I hear you brother... I hear you. I had the same experiences in the shop and in the industry over the past 25 years. It ain't much better on the inside than it is in the shop world. I promise...